Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Giving Thanks For Those On My Journey


As Thanksgiving approaches, I have the opportunity to reflect on where I am and how I’ve gotten here.  The things in my life I’m most thankful for are my family and my friends – life truly wouldn’t be the same without them.  Career-wise, my path to eLearning development has been an enjoyable one that seems like it could have been derailed by a single missed opportunity.  For that trajectory and the people who have helped to guide it along the way, I am truly grateful.

Logo Writer
In elementary school, we had weekly computer class.  Parading down the hall to the room filled with Apple IIe machines (and a single Macintosh for the teacher), seemed like something that didn’t happen frequently enough.  When I speak to others about their computer class experiences, they have tales of adventures on the Oregon Trail and munching numbers.  In my school, only one disc was ever used: Logo Writer.

I enjoyed moving the turtle around the screen and making stars and other shapes using simple commands.  I could control the turtle, move him forward and back, turn, pen up, pen down, and repeat.  What I didn’t realize at the time was that I was learning computer programming.  Sequence and iteration were words that were never mentioned, but once I had the knowledge to think about what we were doing, I had appreciation to add to my memories of enjoyment of those times with the little white turtle.

Art, Math and BASIC
In high school, like everyone else, I struggled to fit in and stand out.  From my freshman year, the one constant in my academic endeavors was my art classes with Mr. Burns.  Freshman year, we drew bottles.  Literally, 80% of the class was spent drawing bottles with quick curves to add dimensionality.  We also drew blocks and buildings to work on perspective (single point and two point).  Our culminating project was drawing a self-portrait.  In what seemed to be cruel and unusual grading, the freshman teachers were invited into the studio to look at the pictures.  If they could correctly identify who you were, you did well.  Sophomore year was painting, junior year sculpture, senior year a combination of the previous years.  As the years went on, only a portion of the students were allowed to move to the next level.  By senior year, fewer than a dozen remained.  By that point, you had formed friendships and an appreciation of the skill of the others in the group.  Throughout the years, Mr. Burns guided us, inspired us, and pressured us to do our best.  He always used to say, “if you have an eye that can see and a hand that can move, you can draw.”  I wish it were that simple, but that was a great way to break down the complex task into two simple steps – see, draw.

Junior year, I had a fantastic pre-calculus teacher, Mr. Wendling.  I always enjoyed math as a concept and a challenge.  There was a single right answer that you could work toward.  At the end, you were either right or wrong – it was all very clean.  However, Mr. Wendling’s pre-calculus class was an enjoyable, entertaining period.  Class was an enjoyable experience of stories, talking, and parabolas.  When he started a computer programming class my senior year, I was excited to enroll in any class he was teaching, although the topic was enticing, too.  I wanted to take Visual Basic, but unfortunately, it conflicted with my art class, so the only programming class I could take was Basic – even then it was outdated. 

Despite the fact that writing code was looking at text on a screen in order to create an application that was text on a screen, I was hooked.  My love of a single final correct answer was multiplied to every line of code.  As we progressed through the class, Mr. Wendling was a day or two ahead, at best.  Each lesson consisted of a handout with a brief description of what we were learning about followed by a simple code example.  First, we had to replicate the example, then we had to create something on our own that included the concept we were learning about and any others from previous classes.  The atmosphere of learning, from both the teacher and the students was a very enjoyable one.  You never got the feeling that the teacher was the expert and you had to memorize everything.  Instead, when you had a question, you would ask and he would help point you in the right direction (typically to a dusty book or to the guy who ran the computer lab – it was pre-Google) and see if he could work through it with you.  This responsibility for figuring things out on your own resonates with me to this day – and frustrates me when I see others lacking the passion of investigation.

College & the Real World
In college, I switched majors a couple of times.  The only constant was that I knew I wanted to be a high school computer teacher (thank you, among others, Mr. Wending).  I started as a computer science major, taking several classes in C++.  As I realized this wouldn’t get me a teaching certification, I changed to a math major – which, as it turns out, it way too much math.  Ultimately, I ended up as a theology major (not a type-o), with a minor in computer information systems.  In the CIS minor, I was able to take more programming courses (javascript and Visual Basic) as well as database courses.

When I graduated, I entered the real world and got a very enjoyable job teaching.  I was able to teach multimedia, graphic design, desktop publishing, and computer programming.  Additionally, I was the school’s webmaster.  As I was an uncertified teacher, I began looking for programs where I could earn a Masters degree in Education.  While it still wouldn’t give me a license, it would allow me to be credentialed enough to continue safely in the private school system. 

MEd Instructional Technology
When I finally found a Masters program that was geographically desirable and had a program related to technology, I had no idea that it would ultimately inspire me to get out of the classroom.  At the time, the program at the University of Louisville had two different tracts: teachers and trainers.  As a teacher without a license, I took the trainer core with teacher electives.  Through this program, I realized that there was the perfect job out there for me that would blend my loves of teaching, programming, and visual arts: eLearning.  Not only that, but through one of my courses, I found the perfect program that allowed me to combine these things: Flash. 

The course was actually taught by a teacher at a rival high school who was also a webmaster.  As such, we developed a friendly rivalry that has turned into one of my best friendships.  Although Hardy and I took slightly different tracks, both he and I are now in similar roles at Humana, where we are able to collaborate with each other and help continue to push the other to learn and develop. 

My First eLearning Job
When I was a bit more than halfway through my program, I realized that I was outgrowing my classroom duties.  At that point, I began to look for an eLearning job.  I was fortunate enough to find a great position at National City Bank, creating operations training.  I am forever grateful to Dave Hare, the hiring manager, who looked at my portfolio from my program and my classroom experience and took a chance on me.  With the perspective of being on the other side of the table, I realize now what a risk he took in taking someone who was untested as a developer and had no experience in the corporate world.

The job was great (other than the fact that it was a bank in the mid-2000s).  I enjoyed the people with whom I worked, I was able to contribute in valuable ways, and I was able to learn a ton of new information on the job.  As the bank went up for sale, team members were offed severance packages or looking for other jobs.  It was tough to see the inevitable as we all began to abandon ship.

Thanksgiving
As I reflect on the strange road that got me where I am today, I can’t help but think of all the places it could have fallen apart.  I have a career now that combines my love of logic and programming with my passion for art.  I have the opportunity to teach and connect with people who are in similar roles as well as create eLearning to educate associates across the company.  I love the people with whom I work and I have been able to keep up my personal and professional relationships with many of the important individuals who have gotten me here.

On the eve of Thanksgiving, I am certainly thankful for those teachers who have gotten me where I am today.  Mrs. Muskoff’s Logo Writer classes paved the way.  Mr. Burns kindled a love of art.  Mr. Wendling showed me that computers are something that you can use to create programs, not just use them.  Hardy Mackenzie showed me that there were unbelievably wonderful applications out there to combine my interests in creating with my interest in teaching in order to have a job I love every day.  While not a teacher in the formal sense, Dave Hare, the hiring manager at National City, took a chance on me and provided the opportunity to learn and develop in a great field.

There are many more today for whom I am thankful and work with every day.  I continue to learn from and contribute to my network.  I have no idea where my journey will continue to lead, but I am certain that those from my past and present will play a large role in exposing me to ideas and concepts that I will someday wonder how I ever lived without.

No comments:

Post a Comment